The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director Economic Development Integration and Trade
Job ID: 270
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reports to: Commissioner, Economic Development, Trade, Industry, and Mining
Department : Economic Development, Integration and Trade.
Number of Direct Reports: 3
Number of Indirect Reports: 18
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Economic Development, Integration and Trade Department in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the department, ensures the timely delivery of the Department’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the Department’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the department;
- Manages the work of the Department and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the department;
- Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Department;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the department
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the department.
- Leads the implementation of the African integration agenda including coordination of Committee meetings of the AUC and RECs for the preparation of
the coordination meetings of Heads of States and Government.
- Coordinates and supervises the formulation and monitoring of economic transformative policies and establishment of AU Financial Institutions.
- Facilitates the formulation, organization and management of key policies and program of economic analysis to enhance continental and regional integration in line with the ACFTA and AU Agenda 2063 in close collaboration with Member States and RECs.
- Oversees the development of policies and programs to promote macroeconomic stability, monetary and fiscal harmonization and cooperation among member states; and financial integration.
- Provides Advisory Services to the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) Secretariat in their relations with RECs and Member States on issues in the AfCFTA Negotiations.
- Contributes to the formulation of African Common Positions in International Trade Negotiations.
- Facilitates the coordination with RECs and other Partners in the AfCFTA Negotiations.
- Leads the implementation of Agenda 2030 of SDGs on the continent, the preparation of the report on assessing Agenda 2030 of SGDs in Africa in collaboration with other AUC Departments and Organs.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of programs to support member states which leads to the improvement of the business environment, promote private sector growth and build competitive economies including the organization of the annual Pan-African Forum of the Private Sector.
- Supervises the preparation of research papers, reports and scientific publications.
- Participates in the international conferences, such as the G20, the G8, F-15, and report back to the Commissioner.
- Establishes proper infrastructure and best practices for effective partnership development and management.
- Leads, supervises and carry out the work program of the Department.
- Coordinate the work carried out by different Divisions under the Department and provides programmatic/substantive reviews of the drafts prepared by others.
- Ensures the progress of implementation of activities of the Department.
- Provides strategic advice and technical support to the Commissioner for Economic Development, Trade, Industry and Mining in preparing statements, proposals, briefs, reports and other relevant tasks.
- Performs any other assignment as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s degree in Economics, Finance, International Business, Public Administration or related field, with fifteen (15) years of relevant work experience of which eight (8) years at managerial level and five (5) years at supervision level.
- Managerial skills, political tactfulness and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives.
- Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with top level stakeholders
- Ability to identify key strategic opportunities and risks
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve program delivery
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic and Spanish); fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment:
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
AU Values :
- Respect for Diversity and Team Work.
- Think Africa Above all.
- Transparency and Accountability.
- Integrity and Impartiality.
- Efficiency and Professionalism.
- Information and Knowledge Sharing.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
31st May, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Note: The African Court is an equal opportunity employer. For this position, qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.