The International Labour Organization (ILO) is the United Nations agency for the world of work. We bring together governments, employers and workers to drive a human-centred approach to the future of work through employment creation, rights at work, social protection and social dialogue.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Finance and Administrative Assistant – G5(DC)
Vacancy no.: ABUJA/DC/GS/2021/01
Job ID: 5986
Organization Unit: CO-Abuja
Contract type: Fixed Term
- At the United Nations Climate Action Summit in 2019, 46 countries committed to develop national plans for a just transition through social dialogue and decent work through green jobs, enabling ambitious action for a sustainable work future.
- To support and implement these commitments, the United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, announced the creation of a “Climate Action for Jobs” initiative and designated the International Labour Organization to lead its implementation.
- The ‘Social Dimension of Ecological Transition’ project takes place in this context and is one of the key axes of the 2020-2024 partnership between France and the ILO.
- The project aims to make a just ecological transition possible in countries through a better understanding of the nature and impact of climate change on employment and on income, as well as the definition of social measures and policies to promote job creation and social inclusion while mitigating economic and social risks.
- The incumbent will work under the overall responsibility of the Country Office Director and under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator.
Description of Duties
- Assist with the planning and preparatory work of the project initiatives in Nigeria.
- Monitor status of the project and receipt of documentation for review and approval, verifying that information are compliant with applicable rules, regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Monitor the status of the project outcomes and deliverables and inform the supervisor of any discrepancies.
- Compile, summarize and present a variety of information and data to the supervisor on issues pertinent to the Office’s work programme, including on budgets, staffing levels and structures of programmes and/or projects, and other related topics or issues.
- Manage all administrative tasks, including logistical support to the project personnel, travel arrangements, visas, hotel reservation and provide logistics arrangements for conferences, seminars, workshops and meetings and other events in Nigeria.
- Maintain and update databases. Perform basic searches for information and prepare and update periodic reports, background information, briefing notes and statistical summaries.
- Assist the project coordinator in the programming and preparation of budget estimates and expenditure forecasts by analyzing and monitoring the situation of resources as compared to planned activities
- Maintain an overview of the financial situation of the Project, to ensure that timely administrative support is provided in general and particular areas.
- Prepare and modify budget code and budget data such as budget proposals, budget revision, and rephrasing.
- Prepare administrative and finance related briefing materials for the coordinators. Keep abreast of the progress report requirements and timetable, providing support to the project manager and coordinators for the preparation of the submission.
- Process financial transactions and verify that information and supporting documentation is in compliance with financial rules and regulations, policies, procedures and applicable standards
- Maintain and update spreadsheets and databases for internal expenditure control purposes.
- Respond to requests for general information and routine queries on status of payments and other budgetary issues.
- Keep abreast of changes to relevant programme-related policies, procedures, guidelines and processes and share information with concerned parties, providing further clarification as required.
- Keep abreast of developments in the country which may have an impact on areas for ILO assistance and collaboration/development cooperation.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
- Completion of secondary education and training in an area related to general administration and office and finance support.
- Minimum of five years of office support work experience, including in programme and budget support work and project administration.
- Proven experience of implementing technical cooperation projects.
- Familiarity for projects in the area of environmental sustainability is an asset.
- Excellent command of English and a good knowledge of French would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of programme and budget and through understanding of wide range of administrative policies and procedures.
- Ability to work with word processing, spread sheet, web-browser, as well as other computer software packages required for work.
- Thorough knowledge of in-house procedures for the preparation of documents and administrative forms, and for the creation and maintenance of filing systems.
- Good knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- Ability to prepare preliminary reports and to draft correspondence.
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing and ability to communicate with people in a polite, courteous and cooperative manner, and ability to post and provide information on ILO website.
- Ability to organize own work and to work independently as well as work in a team.
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet the deadline.
- Ability to take responsibility and pay attention to details.
- Ability to deal with people with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to clarify information •
- Ability to work with confidential material.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
- The ILO attaches great importance to diversity among its staff and aims to achieve gender balance.
- Applications from qualified men and women, including handicapped persons are encouraged.
- Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable for this position can also be offered to be assigned on a TEMPORARY position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position.
Application Closing Date
18th May, 2021 (Midnight local time).
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form.
- To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website.
- The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
- The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage.
- Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded.
- In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.