The Nigerian Red Cross Society (NRCS) was established through an Act of the Parliament in 1960 to complement public authorities in humanitarian interventions with the mandate to prevent and alleviate human suffering at times of peace or conflict, and to support individuals and communities to respond effectively to emergencies, without any form of discrimination as to class, gender, race, political opinions or religion.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Director, Programs
Line Manager: Secretary General
- The Director of Programs will be responsible for overseeing the development and the implementation of high-quality programs while ensuring integration and impact across all programs and projects in the NRCS.
- He / she will mentor and supervise the programs’ department heads, ensuring alignment of programs with NRCS strategic direction and adopted policies, the use of good project management practices and compliance with NRCS rules and regulations.
- He / she will also coordinate collaboration with Red Cross/Red Crescent partners, Government authorities and other partners, representing NRCS programs at the senior level with international organizations, government entities and other relevant bodies.
- He / she will be responsible for developing partnerships and mobilizing resources to ensure that NRCS has the financial, technical and human resources required to ensure the delivery on its mandate.
- He / she will ensure that the planning, implementation and reporting of all programs is done in accordance with NRCS and donors’ requirements, ensuring that the highest standards are respected in terms of reporting, financial management, accountability to beneficiaries.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Director Programs will have the following responsibilities:
- Provide strategic guidance to the program HODs in developing their own strategic plans, defining objectives and plans of action and ensure a coherent and integrated approach. For this purpose, ensure that standard cross cutting issues, such as reporting, finance and administrative requirements are integrated into the plans of action of each of the concerned departments.
- In close cooperation with the Secretary General and the Coordinators for Branch Operations, clear guidance and proposals shall be developed to guide the regular work of NRCS branches (pillar 1) across the organization.
- Work closely with the Coordinators for Branch Operation to ensure seamless implementation of programs (pillar 2) across the National Society, defining clearly roles and responsibilities of the different levels of the organization.
- Ensure clear communication of the overall objectives of the society for its humanitarian and development programs
- Direct and guide the design and development of concept papers, proposals and partnerships.
- Champion the process of developing and implementing institutional and operational capacity enhancement initiatives with the objective of improving the NRCS services delivery capacity
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships with key development partners and champion the formulation of strategic alliances for development purposes
- Keep the Secretary General and Governing Board aware of program developments and ensure that the appropriate policies are developed to meet the Society’s mission and objectives and compliance with all relevant statutory regulations.
- Oversee planning and implementation of programs as well as project monitoring, evaluation and reporting
- Manage the internal and external proposal submission and review process at the national and international levels, as well as to a timely movement of proposals through the entire process
- Validate technical and financial reports on all programs to effectively monitor and steer the activities of the society in line with humanitarian needs and donor requirements
- Undertake assessment of the NRCS Program staff skills / knowledge working in program areas and recommend improvement actions to individuals, Heads of Departments as well as to the Secretary General of the NRCS
- Ensure the achievement of planned outcomes and deliverables following quality standards, in a timely fashion, and within budgets.
- Ensure a robust and coherent monitoring of the situation and its potential evolution, and ensure that humanitarian interventions are responsive to current and emerging needs and threats
- Support the NRCS in developing and implementing operational standards, tools and procedures that ensure quality, consistency and sustainability of emergency response interventions.
Partnerships and Resource Mobilization:
- Promote and supervise the development of quality program proposals in the respective programmatic areas to mobilize resources for NRCS to deliver on its mandate.
- Maintain strategic dialogue with authorities, humanitarian donors and other partners promoting strong and sustainable partnerships, in full respect of our Fundamental Principles, that would enable NRCS to deliver on its mandate.
- Ensure that NRCS, donor and partner minimum requirements are properly met in all programs, respecting the highest standards in transparency, financial management, reporting and evaluation, accountability to beneficiaries.
- Promote the positioning and visibility of the Nigerian Red Cross through effective communication to ensure that the work of the National Society is known by the public, the authorities and the partners.
Duties applicable to all staff:
- Actively work towards the achievement of the NRCS goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross Fundamental Principles and NRCS Statutes
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Line Manager
Key Performance Areas:
- Quality of proposals and concepts notes developed
- Quality of Plans of Action (PoA) developed
- Compliance of program implementation with an approved Plan of Action
- Number of persons/ livelihoods impacted by NRCS activities compared to baseline
Qualifications and Experience
- First Degree in Administration, Management, Economics, Law, Planning, Statistics, Soc.Sciences, Sciences, Medicine, or Humanities from a reputable institution
- Postgraduate qualification in a relevant field
- Project management and PMER qualifications
- Minimum of 15 years of relevant experience of which at least 5 years as an executive / C-level in a reputable humanitarian organisation
- Verifiable track record of managing multiple units and personnel
- Experience in managing and implementing similar programmes/projects in a humanitarian or non-profit organisation
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organisational change and development within a growing organization
- Experience in Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement or an International NGO is an advantage
Skills and Competencies:
- Knowledge of external and uncontrollable factors influencing NRCS, affecting its performance and strategies e.g. humanitarian and economic needs, social conditions etc.
- Ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues. Show initiative and be proactive
- An understanding of financial management, people management and the management of other physical resources
- Understanding of international and national laws related to humanitarian field and armed conflict, International Disaster Response Law (IDRL), nature induced disasters among others
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required, knowledge of other Nigerian languages and/or French is an advantage.
- Excellent judgment and ability to identify and analyse problems and to think strategically to anticipate, interpret and develop strategic responses to issues
- Well-honed skills to persuade, influence, negotiate, manage and sustain effective, successful strategic relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to lead staff across the HQ and branches towards meeting the society vision, mission, and goals
- Awareness and willingness to respond to stakeholders in order to meet their needs, requirements and expectations
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong ability to negotiate and ability to persuade others to adopt a specific course of action to achieve desired results
- Documentation preparation/presentation and computer-based production skills
- Good communication and report writing skills
- Demonstrated accountability
- Good skills in training, facilitation and presentations
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Tools
- Capable of communicating analysis and insights effectively, and articulate when communicating
- Demonstrated success in relationship building internally and externally with a wide array of stakeholders
- Ability to build and protect the reputation of self and society through the quality of work, knowledge and experience
- High ethical standards and honesty in handling the organizational resources and zero tolerance to corruption
- Culturally sensitive, globally-minded and show respect to the views and opinions of others
- Ability to collaborate and work well in a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Application Closing Date
6th April, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should send their CV and Cover Letter (as one single document) to: [email protected] explaining why you should be considered for the position you applied for.
- Pay close attention to job description requirements as applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be considered.
- State the Position applied for / Name of Applicant as subject of the email
- Persons who applied for the same positions previously need not re-apply
- Applicants who fail to comply with application instructions above will not be considered.