Malaria Consortium is one of the world’s leading non-profit organisations specialising in the comprehensive prevention, control and treatment of malaria and other communicable diseases among vulnerable and underprivileged populations. We increasingly find our work on malaria can be effectively integrated with other similar public health interventions for greater impact and therefore expanded our remit to include child health and neglected tropical disease interventions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Senior Project Manager
Location: Abuja / Nigeria Country Office
Length of Contract: 3 years
Role Type: National
Child safeguarding level: TBC
Travel involved: In-country (50%) with occasional int’l
Country and Project Background
The Nigeria Country Office in Abuja, started operations in 2008, through the DFID / UKaid funded Support to National Malaria Programme, SuNMaP (2008 – 2016). The office had a presence in 23 states of the country and has managed at various times, about 15 programmes and projects. It follows the mandate of the parent organization in Nigeria and has been working specifically in the following areas:
- Malaria control / elimination
- Integrated community case management (iCCM) for malaria, pneumonia and diarrhoea
- Neglected tropical diseases (NTDs)
Malaria Consortium is a sub-recipient for the new grant of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GF) under the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) and Catholic Relief Services as the principal recipients.
The goal of the grant is to contribute towards reducing the malaria burden to pre-elimination levels and bringing malaria-related mortality to zero by 2025 in Nigeria.
This project aims to achieve five objectives while delivering high-quality malaria services in 14 states (MC implementing in 5 of the states – Kano, Kaduna, Jigawa, Niger, Yobe, and iCCM only in Jigawa and Niger) through improved service delivery mechanisms, demand creation and health system strengthening strategies:
- Improve access and utilization of vector control interventions to at least 80% of the targeted population by 2025.
- Ensure provision of chemoprevention, diagnosis and appropriate treatment for 80% of the target populations at risk by 2025
- Improve generation of evidence for decision making and impact through reporting of quality malaria data and information from at least 80% of health facilities (public and private) and other data sources including surveillance, surveys and operations research by 2025.
- Strengthen coordination, collaboration, and strategic partnership to promote efficiency and effectiveness of malaria control activities towards achieving at least 75% improvement from baseline using a standardized OCA tool.
- Improve funding for malaria control by at least 25% annually through predictable and innovative sources to ensure sustainability at federal and sub-national levels
- To work with the country office team, manage project activities and resources, provide leadership and stewardship to the project team and maintain collaborative links with the project’s key stakeholders at national and sub-national levels.
Scope of Work:
- The senior project manager will provide overall leadership to the project team and be responsible for implementing project activities in the State.
- S / he will be responsible for the provision of project management of the project at the national level.
- The position will be based in the country office, with regular travel within implementing states.
Key Working Relationships:
- S / he would be reporting to the Programme Director, but relating with the Principal Recipients for the grant, other SRs, major stakeholders and partners including the iCCM Taskforce and subcommittees, states and LGAs where the project is operational.
- S / he would line manage the key project staff in the country and state offices.
Project Management (60%):
- Work with the project team and other relevant personnel in the country office to lead activities for smooth project start-up and planning
- Work with the relevant personnel to prepare all necessary project start-up and planning tools on time
- To build and performance manage an effective and technically unsurpassed GF project team
- Line manages with the country project team and the zonal project managers
- Be responsible for coordinating overall project implementation and see that activities are carried out on a time and within budget and targets for each milestone as set by GF are met
- Liaise regularly with the Country Director and Country Technical Coordinator to provide timely and comprehensive updates and reports as required
- Work with the project team to develop and implement annual work plans
- Work closely with the Country Technical Coordinator to prepare the project monitoring and evaluation framework. Work with the project team to implement it
- Work with the country finance team to track the progress of project and activity budgets
- Work with relevant country office staff to ensure they are aware of the project needs and support is provided adequately to the project team
- Be responsible for project budget management including the preparation of annual budget and forecasts, implementation as planned, tracking and forecasting
- Be responsible for preparing project progress and quarterly narrative reports on time
- Work with the country finance and Country Technical Coordinator to prepare quarterly financial reports
- Work with the relevant country personnel and the Country Technical Coordinator to prepare an exit strategy and to implement it, to see the smooth end of the programme
- Work with the Country Technical Coordinator, Demand Creation Officer and project partners to see that a project communications strategy is developed which includes the production of case studies, reviews of lessons learnt and general documentation for internal and external dissemination
- Be responsible for quarterly lessons identification and learning documentation and dissemination
- Lead the development of any additional country project documentation that may be requested by the Country Director or Regional Programme Coordinator
- Be responsible for building functional partner relationships among the project’s stakeholders
- Oversee project partner’s inputs and subcontractors’ activities to deliver harmonized, aligned and effective outputs
- To manage the risks of the project including financial, reputation and security in a challenging environment especially to the project teams in the northeastern geopolitical zone of the country
- Lead on the performance management of the project staff
Technical Contributions (10%):
- Work with the project teams and the Country Technical Coordinator to determine technical support needs to implement the project effectively and with high quality. Liaise with the Country Technical Coordinator to obtain the technical support
- Contribute to the development and production of dissemination documents to allow wider sharing of Malaria Consortium’s experiences, lessons and successes
Technical performance management and quality assurance (20%):
- Take the lead in monitoring and evaluating project performance
- Keep abreast with evidence and best practices that are related to the project
- Work with the Country Director and Country Technical Coordinator to participate in national level meetings and workshops to represent Malaria Consortium at programmatic and coordination events
- Liaise regularly with GF and PRs focal persons on iCCM keeping the relevant Country Team in the loop of communication
- Work with the Country Director and Country Technical Coordinator to keep key national stakeholders abreast with the project
- To exert influence and to advocate for Malaria Consortium’s key technical positions and promote best practice in malaria and iCCM interventions
Qualifications and Experience
- Postgraduate Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Policy, Epidemiology or another relevant speciality is a minimum requirement
- Extensive experience of working at the national level in developing countries
- Excellent project planning, management and monitoring & evaluation skills
- Experience managing programme/project budgets
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Proven leadership skills and team-leading
- Experience in advocacy and policy influencing
Work-based skills and competencies:
- Demonstrable passion for Malaria Consortium’s mission; a strategic manager with integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Proof of strong interpersonal and negotiating skills
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills are also needed.
- Clear communication skills for managing partnerships and relationships with senior stakeholders at all levels
LEVEL C – Supports others to achieve results:
- Displays a positive and enthusiastic approach and is not deterred by setbacks, finding alternative ways to reach goals or targets
- Supports others to plan and deliver results
- Supports others to manage and cope with setbacks
- Analysis and use of information:
- LEVEL C – Works confidently with complex data to support work:
- Interprets complex written information
- Works confidently with data before making decisions, for example; interpreting trends, issues and risks
- Acquainted with the validity, relevance and limitations of different sources of evidence
Interpersonal and communications:
LEVEL C – Adapts communications effectively:
- Tailors communication (content, style and medium) to diverse audiences
- Communicates equally effectively at all organisational levels
- Understands others’ underlying needs, concerns and motivations and communicates effectively in sensitive situations
- Resolves intra-team and inter-team conflicts effectively
Collaboration and partnering:
LEVEL C – Builds strong networks internally and participates actively in external networks and think tanks:
- Builds strong networks internally
- Participates actively in external networks and/or think tanks
- Engages with relevant experts to gather and evaluate evidence
- Shares and implements good practise with internal and external peers
Leading and motivating people:
LEVEL C – Effectively leads and motivates others or direct reports:
- Gives regular, timely and appropriate feedback
- Acknowledges good performance and deals with issues concerning poor performance
- Carries out staff assessment and development activities conscientiously and effectively
- Develops the skills and competences of others through the development and application of skills
- Coaches and supports team members when they have difficulties
Flexibility / adaptability:
LEVEL C – Supports others to cope with pressure:
- Responds positively to change, embracing and using new practices or values to accomplish goals and solve problems and supports others to do the same
- Adapts team approach, goals, and methods to achieve solutions and results in dynamic situations
- Sets realistic deadlines and goals for self or team
Living the values:
LEVEL C – Supports others to live Malaria Consortium’s values:
- Demonstrates personal integrity by using role position responsibly and fairly
- Cultivates an open culture within the wider team, promoting accountability, responsibility and respect for individual differences
Strategic planning and thinking and sector awareness:
LEVEL C – Keeps up to date with the internal and external environment:
- Takes into account economic, political and other business factors when drawing up medium and long-term plans, covering both public and private sectors
- Looks beyond the immediate operations to prospects for new business
- Engages with appropriate internal and external sources to establish major influences on future plans
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website: Click Here to submit.
Application Closing Date
19th February 2021.